The shrine has been dedicated to Zheng Chenggong (Koxinga, “the Sagely King Who Conquered Taiwan”) since 1662, the 16th year of Emperor Yongli’s reign. It was named as Kaishanwang Temple (“Temple of the Pioneering King”) by worshippers of Koxinga, widely considered a hero who rid Taiwan of Dutch occupation, while extending the territories. An effort was made to restore the shrine at an expanded site, but the results did not last long. In 1874 (the 13th year of Emperor Tongzi’s reign), Shen Baozhen, a Qing official, was appointed to organize Taiwan’s defense system in the aftermath of the Mudan Incident, who suggested that a shrine be erected and a posthumous name awarded to this heroic figure. The Qing authorities then announced that Koxinga should be commemorated twice a year, in spring and autumn and the “Koxinga Shrine” converted from Kaishanwang Temple at the request of Shen. In 1895, (the 21st year of Emperor Guangxu’s reign) Japanese rulers gave the shrine a Japanese name, “Kaisan Jinja”, not only to underscore Koxinga’s loyalty, patriotism and Japanese heritage, but also to differentiate Chinese from other less civilized ethnic groups. In 1963, after Japan’s defeat in World War II, the shrine was restored by the Chinese nationalist government, with national memorial services for Koxinga held every April 29th.